What effects does it have?

  • Medical documents

    Required for surgery, hormones, and NHS funding for other treatments

What is it?

Receiving a formal medical diagnosis from a specialist. This can often be necessary to access treatments related to gender and funding for them.

More information

A diagnosis is usually required to receive:

  • hormone treatments
  • gender related surgeries
  • NHS funding for hair removal
  • NHS funding for speech therapy

The exact diagnosis given in the UK is currently under review, but common terms used when diagnosing patients include:

  • gender dysphoria
  • transsexualism
  • gender incongruence
  • gender identity disorder

In the UK, diagnoses of these conditions are normally made by specialists. Your GP should be able to refer you to one of the NHS gender services who will be able to diagnose you. If they are unsure, you can direct them to the advice for GPs published by the General Medical Council, or the resources on our Information for clinicians page.

If you wish, you can pay to use private specialist gender services. You may find this is quicker than using the NHS services, but it may cost £200 per hour or more for your appointments.

You can find details of both the NHS and private gender services on our Specialist UK gender clinics page.

Errors and omissions

Is there something missing from this page? Have you spotted something that isn't correct? Please tweet us or message us on Facebook to let us know, or file an issue on GitHub.

Page last updated: April 2019