What effects does it have?

What is it?

Changing name by signing a legal declaration you will only use the new name in future. This allows you to update other ID documents to a new name.

How long does it last?

The change of name is permanent. It remains in effect until you make a new name change by deed poll or statutory declaration.

More information

To change your name by deed poll, you will need to obtain the signatures of two independent witnesses to your deed poll. If you are unable to do this, you may wish to try a name change by statutory declaration, which is witnessed by a solicitor instead.

While some companies offer paid services for deed polls, it is possible to change your name by deed poll for free, unlike a name change by statutory declaration.

Once you have changed your name, you will need to update your details with lots of different organisations. You can find out who you need to notify and how to do it on our page about telling organisations.

You can find more information about changing your name by deed poll on the GOV.UK website.

Errors and omissions

Is there something missing from this page? Have you spotted something that isn't correct? Please tweet us or message us on Facebook to let us know, or file an issue on GitHub.

Page last updated: April 2018