What effects does it have?

What is it?

Informing employers, educational institutions, etc, of a change in name, pronouns, title, identity, etc.

How long does it last?

Organisations will normally expect changes to be permanent, though you may make changes several times if you like.

More information

We’ve created a checklist of places you might want to notify of a change of names, pronouns or title.

Organisations to notify

  • See getting a new passport for information about how to update your details with HM Passport Office.

  • HMRC have published guidance on how to notify them of a change of name or a change of gender. HMRC will normally notify the DWP and Pension Service for you.

  • See updating NHS patient details which includes important information about screening tests.

  • Hospitals and clinics often keep their own records, so clinics and hospitals may not automatically update their records when you tell your GP.

  • There is information on how to update your driving license on the GOV.UK website.

  • There is information about how to change name on the electoral roll on the GOV.UK website.

  • There are more details what to do if you have a Visa or BRP on the GOV.UK website, and this guidance may also be useful to read.

  • If you own property you will need to update your details with the Land Registry. There is information about how to do this on the GOV.UK website.

  • There is a form to update your details on the TV Licensing website.

  • You can apply for a new European Health Insurance Card in your new name. You can do this on the EHIC website.

  • Some people may be legally required to notify the police - you can find out more about this on the Unlock website.

Birth certificates

You may wish to update your name or gender on your birth, marriage, or civil partnership certificates.

If you were born in England or Wales, the only way to do this is through obtaining a gender recognition certificate (GRC).

If you were born or adopted in Scotland or Northern Ireland, you may also be able to request a change of name (but not a change of gender) on a birth certificate by officially registering your name change by deed poll. People in Scotland and Northern Ireland can still update both their gender and name by obtaining a gender recognition certificate (GRC).

Errors and omissions

Is there something missing from this page? Have you spotted something that isn't correct? Please tweet us or message us on Facebook to let us know, or file an issue on GitHub.

Page last updated: August 2020