Gender Construction Kit Logo

Dealing with problems

How do I get my problem fixed?

Here’s how to handle some common issues with the UK healthcare system:

  • My GP doesn’t know how to update my name or gender marker

    You can find information about what to tell your GP surgery staff on our Updating NHS Records page. If you experience problems, you may find it helpful to ask to speak to the Practice Manager for your surgery.

  • My GP doesn’t know how to refer me to a gender service

    If your GP is unsure what the next step should be, you can direct them to the advice for GPs published by the General Medical Council, or the resources on our Information for clinicians page. The GP should not try to refer you to a mental health service unless you are under 18. If you’re still having a problem with getting referred to an NHS gender clinic, you may find contacting the clinic for support is helpful.

  • I have a problem with my hormone treatment

    First speak to the person who prescribes your hormones - normally, this will be your GP. If you’re having issues relating to medications an NHS gender service has prescribed, and your GP is not sure how to help you, you can ask your GP to contact the gender service to get advice. Many gender services have a dedicated email address or telephone line for questions from GPs relating to hormones, including the London GIC.

  • I have a problem with my gender surgery referral

    If you have problems with your gender surgery referral, the NHS Gender Dysphoria National Referral Support Services (GDNRSS) have a Single Point of Access support line that you can call for information and advice about your referral. You can read how to access the service in this booklet.

  • I have another problem with my GP surgery

    If you’re having a problem with the care you’re receiving from a GP, start by talking to the reception staff of the GP surgery in question by email or phone call. If they are unable to help, ask them to put you in contact with the surgery’s Practice Manager. The practice manager is often able to resolve issues quickly.

If you are in London and are over 18, you can access the Spectra Trans Health Advocacy Service who can help you get your problem resolved.

That didn’t help, what can I do?

If you want to make a complaint, read our page on how to do it.

If your GP is not supportive or is being unhelpful, you might want to consider:

  • switching to a different GP at the surgery

    You have the right to change to a different GP at your GP surgery without giving a reason why. You can also ask that you are given appointments with any GP except for one you are uncomfortable with.

  • changing to another GP surgery

    You can search for GP surgeries near to you that the trans community have found helpful on the Trans Healthcare Info GP map or the Trans Aid Cymru Welsh GP map.

  • changing to an online GP service

    Some online services specifically advertise support for LGBT+ and trans people, such as GP At Hand.

More information

We have more information about using UK medical services on these pages:

Errors and omissions

Is there something missing from this page? Have you spotted something that isn't correct? Please tweet us or message us on Facebook to let us know.