What is Botox?
Injections of a chemical into the face to relax the muscles and reduce wrinkles.
It's also known as Botulinum toxin or Dysport.
What does Botox do?
How long does Botox last?
The effects for three to four months, after which the skin returns to its original appearance.
What should I be aware of?
Most manufacturers do not recommend cosmetic Botox use on under 18s, as the effects are not well-known 1;2;3
As botulinum toxin (Botox) is a paralytic, muscles in other parts of the face can accidentally be affected. This can cause unwanted changes to physical appearance.
In a review of medical studies of Botox, common side effects of treatment in the upper face are blepharoptosis (partly closed upper eyelid) in 2.5% of patients studied, brow ptosis (drooping eyebrow) in 3.1%, and eye sensory disorders in 3%.
Common side effects of treatment with Botox in the lower face are lip asymmetries and imbalances, seen in 6.9% of patients studied.
All of these symptoms were temporary 4.
The long-term effects of repeated Botox injections remain unknown and have not yet been studied 5.
For your safety, it is wise to read the advice on choosing who will do the procedure found on the NHS website.
Where can I learn more?
You can read more about Botox on the NHS website.
- 1.Electronic Medicines Compendium (2019) “Azzalure, 125 Speywood units, powder for solution for injection.” Link
- 2.Electronic Medicines Compendium (2018) “Bocouture 100 Units.” Link
- 3.Electronic Medicines Compendium (2020) “Xeomin 100 units powder for solution for injection.” Link
- 4.Cavallini, Maurizio, Cirillo, Pierfrancesco, Fundarò, Salvatore Piero, Quartucci, Sandro, et al. (2014) “Safety of botulinum toxin A in aesthetic treatments: a systematic review of clinical studies.” Dermatologic Surgery, 40(5), pp. 525–536. Link
- 5.Gadhia, K and Walmsley, AD (2009) “Facial aesthetics: is botulinum toxin treatment effective and safe? A systematic review of randomised controlled trials.” British dental journal, 207(5), pp. E9–E9. Link
Errors and omissions
Is there something missing from this page? Have you spotted something that isn't correct? Please tweet us or message us on Facebook to let us know, or file an issue on GitHub.