What is eyebrow makeup?
Using eyebrow pencils, powders and gels to create the impression of thicker denser eyebrows.
What does eyebrow makeup do?
Makes eyebrows thicker, denser, or darker
How long does eyebrow makeup last?
It can be easily removed when you like, and should be removed at the end of the day.
How do I use eyebrow makeup?
A number of makeup techniques can be used to make eyebrows appear darker, denser or thicker:
- eyebrow pencil can be used to draw in additional eyebrow hairs, either to change the shape of the brow, make it look thicker, or to cover gaps or patches.
- gels allow you to fix eyebrows in place after you have brushed them into a new position. They can also be tinted to provide the effect of darker eyebrows or conceal greying eyebrows.
- waxes provide a waterproof alternative to gels.
- powders are applied with a makeup brush and darken the whole eyebrow area.
When you have finished wearing your makeup, for example when you want to go to sleep, you will need to remove it. You can use a normal facial wash to do this on most of your face, but on the delicate skin around your eyes you may wish to use eye makeup removal pads or cotton wool and some eye makeup remover.
Are there other options?
It is also possible to use eyebrow pencil or permanent makeup to entirely replace the eyebrow after removing existing eyebrow hair.
Where can I learn more?
Makeup can be appear complicated and intimidating at first.
If you feel that you are not sure how to apply makeup or would like to learn more, you could consider:
- booking a makeover/makeup lesson at a high street shop - more details of these services can be found on the websites of Bobbi Brown, the Body Shop, Boots, Clinique, and MAC - some offer lessons for free
- booking a lesson with a salon focused on providing services to transgender people, such as Born (Manchester) or TG Makeup London
- using a search engine to find independent makeup artists in your area offering lessons
- watching tutorial videos on YouTube or on the websites of many makeup retailers
- purchasing a book on makeup
- asking friends for advice
Errors and omissions
Is there something missing from this page? Have you spotted something that isn't correct? Please tweet us or message us on Facebook to let us know, or file an issue on GitHub.