What effects does it have?
What is it?
Informing employers, educational institutions, etc, of a change in name, pronouns, title, identity, etc.
How long does it last?
Organisations will normally expect changes to be permanent, though you may make changes several times if you like.
We’ve created a checklist of places you might want to notify of a change of names, pronouns or title. (See later on this page for details of how to change your name with some of these places).
Organisations to notify
For further advice on how to update your details:
- GP surgeries and the NHS: See updating NHS patient details which includes important information about screening tests.
- Passport: See getting a new passport for information about how to update your details with HM Passport Office.
- HMRC and DWP: HMRC have published guidance on how to notify them of a change of name or a change of gender. HMRC will normally notify the DWP and Pension Service for you.
- DVLA: There is information about how to change name or gender with the DVLA on the GOV.UK website.
- Visas and Immigration: There are more details what to do if you have a Visa or BRP on the GOV.UK website.
- Electoral roll: There is information about how to change name on the electoral roll on the GOV.UK website.
- Land registry: If you own property you will need to update your details with the Land Registry. There is information about how to do this on the GOV.UK website.
- TV Licensing: There is a form to update your details on the TV Licensing website.
- EHIC: You can apply for a new European Health Insurance Card in your new name. You can do this on the EHIC website.
You may wish to update you name or gender on your birth, marriage, or civil partnership certificates. The only way to do this is through obtaining a gender recognition certificate (GRC).
Errors and omissions
Is there something missing from this page? Have you spotted something that isn't correct? Please tweet us or message us on Facebook to let us know, or file an issue on GitHub.
Page last updated: July 2017